This page contains a listing, and in some cases reviews, of the books that have had some influence in my life.
- The E-Myth Revisited, by Michael E. Gerber — Goofy name, but a great book, highlighting that being good at something is very different than being at the business of that something.
- The Essential Drucker, by Peter Drucker
- Confessions of an Advertising Man, by David Ogilvy
- Ogilvy on Advertising, by David Ogilvy
- REWORK, by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
Politics, Economics & Society
- The Power of Less, by Leo Babauta
- Manage Your Day to Day, by Jocelyn Glei 💬
- Influence—The Psychology of Persuasion, by Robert Cialdini
- Innumeracy, by John Allen Paulos — Entertaining presentation of examples like this one that show us how important a basic command of mathematics is.
- The Big Short, by Michael Lewis 💬
- Waking Up, by Sam Harris — Understanding the distinction between consciousness and thought is key to addressing much of human suffering.
Personal Finance & Investing
- Money for Something — I spent almost a year writing an introduction to investment, that can be read in an hour, while providing everything you need to get started. Start here.
- Fail-Safe Investing, by Harry Browne — Guide to the principles that make successful investors.
- The Millionaire Next Door, by Tom Stanley and Bill Danko — Results of a decade-long study, revealing who are, and aren’t the world’s millionaires.
- The Investor’s Manifesto, by William Bernstein — Goes a bit beyond my book, but still in the category of introduction.
- Rational Expectations, by William Bernstein — Perhaps my favorite of all Bernstein books, focusing on asset allocation.
- Investing for Adults, by William Bernstein — Three-part, advanced series of investment-related essays, including Deep Risk, Skating Where the Puck Was and The Ages of the Investor.
- The Intelligent Investor, by Benjamin Graham — The great deep-dive into investing from the man who inspired Warren Buffet.
Health & Diet
- Why we get fat, by Gary Taubes — Incredibly important book that turns old nutritional thinking on its head. 💬
- The Paleo Solution, by Robb Wolf
Design & development
- The Non-Designers Design Book, by Robin Williams
- Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative, by Edward Tufte
- The Mythical Man-Month, by Frederick Brooks
- The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins
- Letter to a Christian Nation, by Sam Harris
- The End of Faith, by Sam Harris
- Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don’t Add Up, by John Allen Paulo