Discovered and fixed a huge CrashPlan log file

A couple of days ago, I discovered that my CrashPlan log (in /Library/Logs/CrashPlan/engine_output.log) had gotten huge—over 60GB. Googling, I found this article that describes how to increase CrashPlan’s memory. In cases where you have CrashPlan backing up millions of files, it can be necessary. After increasing the app’s memory, and deleting the log file, it has since remained at a more reasonable 1.5GB.

Here are the steps:

  1. Launch a terminal window

  2. Shutdown the crash plan daemon. You will be asked for your admin password. Go ahead and enter it here.

    sudo launchctl unload /library/launchdaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist

  3. Edit the plist file with BBEdit:

    bbedit /library/launchdaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist

  4. Find Xmx512m and change it to Xmx1024m. This will allocate 1024mb of memory instead of the default 512mb

  5. Save the file and quit BBEdit

  6. Relaunch the Crashplan daemon (corrected Apr 19th 2012)

    sudo launchctl load /library/launchdaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist